05 Jan 10 ways to get your home to sparkle in under an hour
Sometimes, it’s well worth spending money on professional cleaners. We get it: you’d rather not spend your downtime cleaning. And let’s face it, the professionals often do a better job, anyway (as well they should, it’s their job!). But if you want to tackle the cleaning yourself, and you want to learn some of the tricks of the trade, we have them. Here’s how professional cleaners get your house to shine in an hour. It’s totally possible.
1. They use rags, not paper towel. Paper towel leaves lint, rags don’t. Rags also clean faster as they get stuck into grime better. (And of course, rags can be washed and reused, so they’re better for the environment).
2. They don’t use too much product. Using excess product can actually make it more difficult to clean, as you’ll spend more time wiping away the extra cleaning agent. Don’t go overboard!
3. They start from the top. With a long-handled dust broom, wipe down ceiling fans, corners and air vents. Then dust and polish furniture. Then vacuum and wash floors. Knocking the dust down saves time as you’re not going over the same area twice.
4. They don’t get distracted. This sounds obvious, but it works. Professional cleaners don’t have time to linger or pause when they find a photo they haven’t seen for a while, or a new magazine they haven’t opened yet. They don’t worry about this stuff; they just keep cleaning. Keep emotion out of cleaning and go go go.
5. They invest in good vacuums. Professional cleaners don’t have time to waste – they need dust and dirt eliminated, stat. So they have high-powered vacs that do much of the work for them. If your budget can allow this, it’s well worth the investment.
6. They clean clockwise. Choose a position that’s “12 o’clock” and start from here, cleaning in a circle until you’re done. This way, you won’t waste time figuring out where to go next, and you won’t miss anything.
7. They keep the area well lit. Again, this sounds obvious, but it works. Ensuring you can see everything means you won’t miss anything. Easy.
8. They set a time limit. Professional cleaners usually only have an hour or so to clean an entire home. Set yourself a limit and stick to it.
10. They pay attention to detail, but they don’t get bogged down in it. Clean your door knobs, light switches and the fridge door handles – these things make a big difference, believe it or not. But don’t get too bogged down in making sure your skirting boards are perfect – clean as best you can, and move on.
Article first appeared here